7 Practice Supervision Approaches to Support Career Development
By Jeremiah Wong
Recorded June 15, 2023
The importance of clinical supervision or career practitioner supervision cannot be understated. Especially in the next decade of tumultuous growth and intensified VUCA world of work. As career life becomes ever more complex from an intra-personal and person and environmental perspective – therefore, we need sound, quality, founded and ethical supervision in career services delivery, career services design, practice standards and policy, coupled with personalized continuing development for every career development practitioner.
Despite its importance, clinical supervision or career practitioner supervision are often not prioritized or known by public or private career development organizations, possibly due to:
- Low awareness or misunderstanding of about career practitioner supervision
- Lack of qualified and competent career practitioner supervisors
- Emphasis on practitioner outcomes versus practice efficacy & growth
- Lack of enthusiasm from CDPs to receive practice supervision
In this webinar, we want to draw attention to this matter, to create awareness, dispel myths, and articulate the benefits of career practitioner supervision. To do so, we will showcase content related to:
- Introduction to 4 roles and functions of clinical supervisors
- 7 approaches that Career Development Practice Supervisors can use such as: Practice-to-Theory & Theory-to-Practice approach in Supervision of Career Development & Counselling/Coaching Models, Career Case Conceptualization, Ethical Considerations in Practice, Assessments in Supervision
Mr. Jeremiah Wong is a Clinical Supervisor and Educator for Career Practitioners in Singapore. He started his career in the military and progressed into employment services as a Career Coach serving more than 4,000 individuals. Jeremiah was involved in the national capability design and development of Career Development Practitioners in Singapore and he trains budding Career Counsellors as a Senior Lecturer in Republic Polytechnic. Jeremiah is one of two trainers outside of US recognized by the National Career Development Association (NCDA) to conduct a 45-hour career supervision program, leading to the NCDA Certified Clinical Supervisor of Career Counselling. Jeremiah has been a member of the APCDA and was awarded the APCDA Outstanding Educator of Career Professional Award in 2022.